COVID-19: Fiji reports 1121 new cases and 6 deaths in two days
31 July, 2021, 8:55 pm
New positive COVID-19 infections on Viti Levu remain high with 1121 confirmed cases reported tonight for the 24-hour period that ended at 8am today.
And six deaths have also been reported on July 29-30.
In his COVID-19 update statement tonight, Ministry of Health permanent secretary Dr James Fong said 241 cases were from the Western Division and 880 cases from the Central Division.
He said there had been 510 new recoveries reported since the last update, which meant there were now 21,707 active cases – 18,572 active cases are in the Central Division and 3135 in the West.
Below are the details provided by Dr Fong on the six deaths:
- A 79-year-old man from Caubati who died at home (29/07/2021). He was not vaccinated;
- A 65-year-old woman from Nasinu. She was declared dead on arrival by the attending medical officer at the CWMH Hospital Emergency Department (29/07/2021). This means that she died at home or on her way to the hospital. She was not vaccinated;
- A 58-year-old man from Nausori. He presented to a medical facility in severe respiratory distress. A medical team retrieved him from the medical facility and brought him to CWM hospital. His condition worsened in the hospital and he died on the same day 30/07/2021. He was not vaccinated;
- A 71-year-old woman from Nabua who died at home on 30/07/2021. She was not vaccinated;
- A 51-year-old man from Suva who died at home on 30/07/2021. He was not vaccinated; and
- An 89-year -old man from Tailevu. He presented to a medical facility in severe respiratory distress. A medical team retrieved him from the medical facility and brought him to the CWM Hospital. His condition worsened in the hospital and he died 10 days after admission (30/07/2021). He was not vaccinated.
Dr Fong said there had been seven more deaths of COVID-19 positive patients.
“However, their deaths have been classified as non-COVID deaths by their doctors. Doctors have determined that their deaths were caused by serious pre-existing medical conditions and not COVID-19.”
There have now been 238 deaths due to COVID-19 in Fiji, with 236 of these deaths during the outbreak that started in April this year.